Several years ago I used to offer secondhand shopping tours called Secondhand Safaris all across Metro Vancouver. In tour buses, supplied by the late great Dan Tapp at Explore BC, we would venture to consignment stores, thrift shops, antique shows and so much more. In groups, sometimes as big as 75 and mostly women, we would set out for the day and stop at some of our city’s finest secondhand shops and shows.
These tours were quite unique and a lot of fun. There is something to be said about heading out on a secondhand shopping spree with a large group of like minded folks – who all love to scour through thrift shops, consignment boutiques, vintage stores as well as antique shows and flea markets….with the odd stop at a garage sale along the way. There were many fantastic finds but half the fun was just being out having a good time doing what we love to do…together as a group.
It has been a few years since I offered a tour but in thinking about going “on the road” again, I decided I wanted to do something a bit different this time. I wanted to go to London, England and I didn’t want to go alone. It occurred to me that a Secondhand Safari type tour to visit all the incredible London Markets might appeal to others as well. So I approached my good friend Alison at Marlin Travel, who was a partner in crime when starting the original Safari Tours. She jumped on board immediately and put together the most amazing travel package.
From Portobello to Petticoat Lane, join Alison from Marlin Travel and Jo-Anne from Secondhand Savvy, for an incredible week in London exploring many of the famous (and lesser known) markets.
The date set is May 22nd, 2010 and the price (based on double occupancy) is $2010 per person (CAD & all taxes included) and includes all of the following:
- Return airfare from Vancouver to London (all taxes included)
- Round trip transfers between airport and hotel
- 7 nights accommodation at The President Hotel *** in Central London
- Hotel located close to shops, park, pubs, restaurants, and cafés
- Continental breakfast at the hotel and coffee/tea tray in each room
- London Visitor Travel Card (6 day pass for London’s Public Transit)
- Ticket to see one of London’s premier shows (show confirmed before trip)
- London’s “Hop-On Hop-Off” One Day Bus Pass (stops at key attractions)
- Essential London ½ Day excursion
- Marlin Travel Escort and Savvy Shopping Guide
- Guided tours to as many markets as we can fit in
- Guide with maps and information for over 60 London Markets
- Comprehensive Insurance Package (Slight increase in price for traveller’s over 59)
- EXCLUSIVE BOOKING BONUS Earn 50 BONUS AIR MILES® reward miles! Book by January 31, 2010.
The price will go up after January 31st, so book this week if you are interested! There are some terms and conditions, as with any tour, but if you are interested please contact Alison directly at (604) 438-3356 or 1-866-438-3356 or by Email at Alison.MoodyStuart@MarlinTravel.ca and she will go over all the specifics around this amazing travel package.
This should be a perfect trip for anyone who loves to spend hours at markets and then have a “show and tell” back at the pub in the hotel. There will also be time to visit other local attractions (with the Hop On Hop Off bus pass and the Essential London 1/2 day excursion, for those who can pry themselves away from the markets. And I was recently informed that the Chelsea Flower Show is is happening May 25-29 which may be another fabulous market to visit for some.